Currency: the KIP
(1$ = 8,000 Kip or 1€ = 11,000 Kip - June 2011)
Surface: 236.800 km² (comparison - Cambodia: 181.035 km ² - Vietnam: 330.000 km ²).
Laos is a landlocked country in the middle of the Indochinese peninsula
- bordered in the east and north by Vietnam and China
- limited to the west and the south by Myanmar, Thailand and Cambodia.
Highest point: Phou Bia (Xieng-Khouang): 2,820m.
Main river: Mekong: 1.898 km in Laos, on a total course of 4.200 km.
Two seasons with distinct tropical climate of Laos:
- From October to April: dry season (15°C/20°C in Dec/Jan and 30°C/40°C in March/April).
- From May to September: rainy season.
Population- Approximately 6, 7 million people (2009)
- Density: 28, 8 people /km²
- Average Life expectancy (2009): 56 years
- Intermediate size of a family: 6, 1 people
- Population growth: 2% per annum (2005)
- 68 ethnic groups
- 799.000 families
- 54% of the population is less than 20 years old
Patterns of settlement
Urban population: 31%
Rural population: 69%
Active population (older than 10 years old): 70% (3 157.417 people)
Distribution of commercial activities according to the branch of industry
Agriculture and fishing: 85%
Secondary industry: 5%
Tertiary sector: 10%